We are delighted to announce that the MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit (MRC CBU), has been awarded Silver status in the Green Impact award from the University of Cambridge. The Green Impact is the University’s environmental accreditation scheme, which supports and encourages departments and colleges across the University in reducing environmental impacts.
The Green Impact awards ceremony took place on Tuesday 7 June, where members of the Unit’s Environmental Committee attended to receive the award.
The Committee have worked hard over the past year setting up lots of new initiatives within the Unit, leading to the success of Silver status.
On 22 April 2022, the Unit hosted an Earth Day event at the Unit. The main purpose of the event was to encourage Unit staff to think more about how they can contribute to making the Unit a more sustainable environment. The day involved an educational talk on Sustainability at the University by Martin Howes, a Stationery Swap-Shop, Library book recycling and a plant-based BBQ and snacks.
Other new initiatives also included:
- Setting up the @eco_mrccbu Twitter page to share ideas, best practice and anything Green
- Placing reminder stickers and recyclable door hangers around the Unit, reminding staff to switch off lights and radiators etc in order to save energy
- Continuing to educate and gain support from Senior Management
- Held a Stationery Amnesty day
- Promoting the University’s sustainable travel initiatives and continue to encourage staff and visitors to travel to the Unit by environmentally friendly ways
- Set up more recycling bins for stationery and coffee cups, and using WARPIT to recycle larger items.
The Environmental Committee will now be meeting soon to discuss how to maintain these high standards and the next steps in achieving the Gold award.
The MRC CBU would like to thank everyone who contributed to achieving the award, and for all the support from MRC CBU members and especially, the University of Cambridge Sustainability Team.